Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Raven Rock State Park

Raven Rock State Park: Raven Rock Loop Trail - 11/4/21 - 2.8 miles

When planning travel that doesn’t include hiking at the destination, I peruse the map for opportunities en route, especially if I’m driving alone. Book club weekend at the beach? There must be a state park somewhere along the way…kind of.

Raven Rock State Park in Harnett County, NC is unique and deserves more time than I set aside for it on my way from Charlotte to Oak Island. The park is divided into separate trail sections for hikers, mountain bikers and equestrians (whew, no dodging mountain bikers!). High bluffs jut out over the Cape Fear River that flows through the middle of the park (no crossing from one side to the other, though, you have to drive.) There isn’t a boat launch within the park but there is paddle-in camping (also accessible by foot). There is a small front country campground and camper cabins.

Raven Rock SP was not exactly “on the way” to my destination on a chilly November morning, 42 degrees and spitting rain. Not the park’s fault, though, and I resolved to have a good attitude. I was the first person to enter the Visitor Center that morning, and the cheery greeting from the young ranger as I stamped my NC Parks passport made me glad to be there. 

Can I just say how much I love meeting and talking with park rangers, particularly the first-year newbies, and double particularly the women? Learning about their outdoor experiences growing up, how they chose their profession, what influenced them, and thanking them for their commitment to public lands – so important!

With just a couple of hours to spare in my travel day, I decided to hike the Raven Rock Loop which starts from the picnic pavilion (an empty parking lot today). From the cliff top to the water’s edge, this trail offers a lot in less than 3 miles!

I didn’t have my rain gloves with me and opted not to use my hiking poles so I could keep my hands warm in my pockets. [Hindsight tip: never take rain gloves out of your daypack.] Even as an experienced hiker, I sometimes underestimate short trails. This one started out gently, but I encountered enough spots with slick wet roots on the heavily trafficked terrain that I missed my poles for stability. 

Curious to get down to the river first, I tackled the loop counterclockwise. At about the one-mile mark, I took the right turn side trail and descended an impressive set of wooden staircases (also slippery!) to the edge of Cape Fear River and the base of Raven Rock. Knowing that on a sunny day this park is filled with people, I enjoyed exploring the area in solitude, walking both directions from the stairway and poking in crevices between the rocks.

Back up the stairs and continuing counterclockwise, I walked about half a mile to the overlook. The sky was overcast and fall colors were past their peak, but there were still touches of orange and yellow mixed with green. A peaceful place, reminding me that although us humans may not like rain, nature is always perfect.

Exquisite stonework

The rest of the loop was a cushy pine needle footpath, and the rain started up again so that I hurried to my car. Another 2.5 hours of driving to Oak Island, but I was glad I took the scenic route to see this unique NC state park. Maybe a little canoe trip next time?

“We are children of the Earth and not separate from the soil,
 the forest, the rivers and the sky.
We share the same destiny.”
~Thich Nhat Hahn


No comments: