Monday, August 29, 2022

Pisgah 400: MST & Bridges Camp Gap Trail

Pisgah 400: MST & Bridges Camp Gap Trail to Big East Fork of the Pigeon River
10/31/21 – 3.8 Miles

After two rainy days of our last-chance weekend of 2021 in the NC mountains, Halloween morning dawned in spectacular fashion. Wait a minute – hasn’t the “peak leaf weekend” already passed? Tell that to the trees saturated in fall’s colors.

Jim and I didn’t waste any time driving up Hwy 276 from Waynesville to the Blue Ridge Parkway. At the Looking Glass Rock Overlook, a brisk wind was blowing puffy clouds around, revealing blue skies and crisp vistas.

Looking Glass Rock

Of course we knew just what to do – hiking and biking! From the overlook, Jim set off for a ride on the BRP and I crossed the road to a short access trail to the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. My destination was Bridges Camp Gap Trail to the Big East Fork of the Pigeon River.

This is a popular access point to Skinny Dip Falls. Unfortunately, in August 2021 Tropical Storm Fred wreaked havoc in these mountains, major flooding washing out trails and bridges and devastating communities down river, including loss of life. The MST to Skinny Dip Falls was closed for months until Carolina Mountain Club trail maintainers made repairs. Next time you see a trail maintainer, thank them!

At the junction, I turned right onto the MST

An autumn leaf carpet trail

After a quarter mile I reached the left turn onto Bridges Camp Gap Trail


The first half-mile is a gentle downslope, then two switchbacks took me to the banks of Big East Fork. Here the trail turned right (a path also goes left to campsites, not sure how far upstream it goes). I stopped to look at the water level, flowing mostly on the far side of a very wide rocky bed.


The trail climbs high up on the bank to a level bench and follows Big East Fork downstream. From this vantage point I caught glimpses of the water’s slides and pools. How fun this playground must be in the summertime! I couldn’t resist one steep side trail to the water’s edge: amazing swirls on the rocks as cascading water formed one pool after another in the steady downhill flow. Everything was still wet from the previous days’ rains and I was very mindful of slipping and being injured, as I was alone and no one would see me from the trail…


Before I knew it, I was at the confluence of Big East Fork and Greasy Cove Prong merging to become the Pigeon River. This is also where Bridges Camp Gap Trail, Greasy Cove Trail and and Big East Fork Trail intersect. [I passed through here back in 2012.]

At the campsite by the trail intersection, I met a young dayhiker dude looking at a map. We had a brief conversation but he seemed a little hesitant – creepy or just shy? I’m not sure he was where he wanted to be. With an eye on the time to rendezvous with Jim, I started back up Bridges Camp Gap Trail to return to the Parkway.

The Looking Glass Overlook parking area was full and the BRP was busy with cars and cyclists. Our planned meeting place was the Cradle of Forestry on Hwy 276, and as I drove down the curvy road I came upon Jim being followed by a couple of other cars. I saw how impatient the drivers were with him, which makes me worry for him and other cyclists. Come on, people: is where you are going so important that you feel justified endangering a life?

Today was a truly beautiful little hike. As confounding as Pisgah National Forest can be at times, I am grateful to get there when I can. I felt good at every step, even the uphill, and I caught a glimpse of the peace that I seek (having a hard time getting doses in my daily life).

Home in time for trick-or-treaters!

"That's a crooked tree. We'll send him to Washington."
 ~Bob Ross




No comments: