Thursday, January 11, 2024

Hanging Rock State Park: Indian Creek Trail & Riverbluffs Trail

Hanging Rock State Park: Indian Creek Trail & Riverbluffs Trail – 2/24/23 – 9.3 Miles

My Centennial Trail thru-hike is a tad more than 3 months away. Most of my training outings are on familiar trails that I don’t blog about. Jim offered to hike with me today, so we explored some new-to-me trails in Hanging Rock State Park.

A blue-sky day in February, pleasant hiking weather in the NC mountains, starting out with long pants and sleeves and ending in shorts. I carried my usual daypack with some extra weight. Soon I’ll start carrying my new Gossamer Gear backpack.

Starting at the Dan River boat access parking at the “bottom” of the mountain, we headed up Indian Creek Trail (I wonder if they will rename that one day?)

Canoe/kayak launch at Dan River

Boy Scouts? Parks and Rec? Random people?

Like the trail’s name implies, we encountered a lot of creek crossings. I suspect they are usually unremarkable rock hops, but there’s been a significant amount of rain lately. Let’s count ‘em up: 4 wet crossings plus 5 dry rock hop crossings adds up to 9 going up…plus 9 coming back down…that means 18 crossings that got our attention.

Jim was able to keep his boots from being completely submerged, but I had no chance of staying dry wearing my little Altra Timps. It was a nice day, though, and wet feet didn’t hinder me. Just happy to be outside!

The trail turned away from the creek and began climbing. A partially collapsed wooden building appeared near the crossing of Hanging Rock Road. Growing up in rural southern Virginia where my uncles raised tobacco, I recognized this old tobacco barn. Nostalgic even as hindsight gives a clearer picture of a complex time.

After the road crossing, my old friend the Mountains-To-Sea Trail joined Indian Creek Trail and the climb got steeper. Because I was trying to keep Jim’s pace, my calves were feeling the burn. The creek appeared again on the left and stayed with us.

Most visitors start from the Visitor Center parking and descend to Hidden Falls and Window Falls, then turn around and head back up. Approaching from the bottom, we reached Window Falls first. The “window” is a hole in the rock wall near the main drop, which we didn’t try to get close to today. The trail was now noticeably eroded, despite the infrastructure built to try to keep people on the path. 

Window Falls (sans window)

Approaching Hidden Falls, we spotted a large group of folks, including little kids climbing all over the rocks, so we kept moving to the picnic area for a lunch break. It’s all fun and games until the crowds move in; then it’s time to skedaddle.

Never underestimate the return part of an out-and-back hike. Retracing our steps going down Indian Creek Trail, I commented to Jim how the day was warm but I hadn’t seen any spring flowers. Then lo and behold, I saw a trout lily! Then I saw dozens, then thousands, all along the banks of the creek … wow! I am sure they were not there when we hiked up.

We crossed the paved road again and took another look at the old barn

Beyond the building, we noticed rusty barrels lying in the woods. Tromping around in the vegetation uncovered more “artifacts,” possibly an old homesite connected with the barn? But we were very close to the park boundary lines and could see occupied houses – maybe this was just an old dump. 

Back close to the Dan River parking area with time for a little more exploring, we turned onto the Riverbluffs Loop, a flat little 1.3-mile trail that passes along the banks of Dan River. The rock bluffs on the far side of the river were impressive.

A few dozen yards off to one side of the trail, I caught a glimpse of yellow and realized it was a spread of daffodils, which usually signifies an old homesite. We walked up the slope and found the remnants of a rock chimney. Who once owned this property with a fine view of the river and its rocky bluffs?

For more info and photos of the Riverbluffs Trail, a nice writeup is here. 

We completed our hike earlier than expected and wanted a bite to eat before the long drive home. Nothing better than the town of Welcome, NC inviting us to have a seat at Jimmy’s Barbecue. Their motto: “I can smell a pig from a mile away!”

“For how many years did I wander slowly
 through the forest. What wonder and glory
 I would have missed had I ever been in a hurry!”
 ~Mary Oliver




No comments: