Monday, February 10, 2020

More North Carolina State Parks: Carolina Beach State Park, Fort Fisher State Recreation Area & Lake Waccamaw State Park


Carolina Beach State Park, Fort Fisher State Recreation Area and Lake Waccamaw State Park – 3/24/19 - 6 Miles

Early Sunday morning I waved goodbye to Surf City and headed out to visit two more coastal NC state parks. My original plan was to camp at Carolina Beach State Park, but in my gut I was undecided. What’s this hesitation all about? I felt conflicted, nervous (afraid?) to spend the night alone, but why? Because I will be bored? Lonely? I'm not afraid of people/animals/weather. I’ll ponder this unsteady feeling and whether I should “make” myself travel alone. [Sidebar: when I first considered hiking the Smokies 900, I consulted a wise woman who had solo hiked the AT and I asked how to overcome fears of being alone. She said, “Repetition.”]


An easy drive southbound past Wilmington to Carolina Beach State Park, which is not oceanfront as I had assumed from its name. Its northern border is the Intracoastal Waterway and its western border is the mighty Cape Fear River. The park makes good use of its 761 acres, featuring a picnic area for day visitors, overnight camping for individuals and groups (restrooms with hot showers!) and camping cabins for roughing it with heat and air conditioning. There’s an impressive 54-slip marina with two public boat ramps, a store for fishing and camping supplies (restrooms and hot showers again!)

A park map from the Visitor Center showed me the lay of the land. There are 9 miles of intertwined and overlapping hiking trails. The trail key gives the length, blaze identification and description for each, but it wasn’t easy to determine accurate mileage for any combination.  

Carnivorous plants are special to this part of NC, so I made sure to walk the half-mile Flytrap Trail, featuring Venus flytraps (native only within 70 miles of Wilmington, NC) and pitcher plants. This trail was bustling with Cub Scouts and their parents who were camping at the close-by group sites.

Pitcher plants

Longleaf pine

Checking out the marina, situated where the Intracoastal Waterway meets the Cape Fear River.  I’m not a boat person, but the still water and flawless reflection on this beautiful day made me wish I was.

 
Consulting my trail map, I chose a route to the Oak Toe Trail to a marsh overlook. First I took the Sugarloaf Trail (which is overlapped for a bit by the Swamp Trail – why did they do this?  Why couldn’t each trail just have its own name? I guess because they name the trails for land features?) Took Sugarloaf, then the concurrent Swamp Trail, turned right off of Swamp onto Sugarloaf (yes, it was confusing in real life) then the Oak Toe Trail to its boardwalk end.


In hindsight, I wish I had skipped the Oak Toe overlook and gone for the Sugarloaf Dune, as the timing would have been the same. During my return hike to the car I decided not to camp overnight here, feeling the pull to get home. Will I ever return? I think so. Carolina Beach SP has much to offer and is a great base for more local adventures.

 
Now that I’d made the decision to sleep in my own bed at the end of the day, I was ready to move on.  Next stop, Fort Fisher State Recreation Area, only 20 minutes further down Hwy 421 to the tip of Pleasure Island [How was Pleasure Island created, you ask? Read here.] The Recreation Area is adjacent to Fort Fisher State Historic Site, the remains of a Confederate fort with an interpretive signed walkway and a small museum.  I passed the historic site on my way to the Rec Area Visitor Center, which is the gateway to six miles of undeveloped beachfront that allows access to four-wheel drive vehicles. This is a huge attraction and plenty of people were signing up and letting the air out of their tires to drive on the sandy beach.

The North Carolina Aquarium is next to the VC but I didn’t have the time to do it justice – another reason to spend a base camp weekend at Carolina Beach State Park.

There’s only one walking trail, so that’s simple. The Basin Trail leads from the VC to a boardwalk overlook of the Cape Fear River Basin. It’s 1.1 miles one way, starting out in the maritime forest of stunted trees and continuing flat flat flat over a couple hundred yards of challenging deep sand. Did I mention that by mid-day the sun was H-O-T??

 
A sturdy boardwalk passes through salt marshes that fascinated and intimidated me.  It’s hard to believe the waters are shallow. As I stood still on the wood decking, birds flittered to and fro and a slight breeze rustled the grasses. A time traveler would have been hard pressed to say what century she was in. 


A human history point of interest along the Basin Trail: a World War II bunker with a story within a story. Robert Harrill, known as the Fort Fisher Hermit, lived in the abandoned bunker from 1956 to 1972 and shared his beliefs about "common sense" with thousands of visitors every year while surviving on what nature provided in the surrounding salt marsh and oyster beds.

 
Trail’s end looks across the might Cape Fear River Basin to Zeke’s Island Reserve that protects shorebird feeding habitat.

 
I left Fort Fisher behind, checking to see that I had time for one more stop, since I would pass close by on my way home:  Lake Waccamaw State Park.

 
Armed with my newfound interest in Carolina bay lakes, I learned that Lake Waccamaw is the largest Carolina bay lake in NC, covering 9,000 acres with 14 miles of shoreline. The park owns the southeastern third of the lake and shoreline, plus the land encompassing the Waccamaw River as it flows from the lake, and it provides the only public access to the water. Some wealthy folks with nice houses own the rest. The park includes yet another fantastic Visitor Center, picnic areas, primitive group camping (no individual car camping) and hiking trails. The longest trail is the 4-mile Lakeshire Trail from the VC to the dam at the mouth of the Waccamaw River – don’t forget that it’s 4 miles back.

When I arrived, a friendly young ranger was sitting on the front steps with a local landowner, no other staff on duty today. He opened up the office to get me a park map and gave me an embroidered patch for free because he couldn’t figure out how to start the computer for me to pay for it. While his tech skills were lacking, his knowledge (and enthusiasm) of the flora and fauna of the park was extensive. He said that alligators would be active on this warm day but probably the best place to see them was along the road I’d driven on leading to the park entrance.

  
I had about an hour to look around, so I walked from the VC to the first boardwalk, feeling edgy the whole way for fear of tripping over an alligator. Like the other bay lakes, the deep blue water seemed infinitely deep. Next I walked 15 minutes on the Lakeshore Trail before retracing my steps to the VC.

Mama longleaf pine

Baby longleaf pine

Spanish moss


No alligator sightings today. I know what you’re thinking: Lake Waccamaw State Park could also be on the list of stops for that return trip I keep talking about. I was a little bit wishing I had slowed down and opted to stay the night at Carolina Beach SP, but you can benefit from my advance explorations, right? I covered a whole lot of territory in this three-day weekend (including the FMST annual gathering!) and I was glad to get home. Not sure what I’m trying to prove, but everyone knows I do like checklists, and my new North Carolina State Parks passport is waiting to get stamped.
 


“In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.” 
~Ansel Adams
 


No comments: