Saturday, March 7, 2020

HIKE For Mental Health: McDowell Nature Preserve


HIKE For Mental Health – McDowell Nature Preserve – 5/4/19 – 3 Miles

 
Sometimes you know something in your gut without explaining it in words. Recently there’s been a lot of press about how spending time outdoors is good for one’s mental health – well, gee, I could’ve told you that!  But in stepping back, exactly how could I tell you that – in words, I mean?

Hiking makes me feel energized, relaxed, peaceful, reflective, worry-free, that good kind of tired…but even those words don’t capture all the feels. How about this one?

Ineffable: too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words

Taking someone on a hike is one of my favorite things to do because my words are not necessary. I notice my friend’s body language, hesitation, self-consciousness, curiosity, increasing confidence, and then that letting go of worries for a little while. The worries are still back there, but time spent outdoors, no matter how brief, can renew the spirit to pick them back up again. Sometimes that’s hard to put into words – is the feeling release? Respite? Relief? Renewal? Ineffable?

People who have loved ones with mental health issues often put their own self-care on a distant backburner. Has that ever happened to you? “My sister suffers from depression and I focus on her even when I’m exhausted. My child has been recently diagnosed and I’m hell-bent on making his life better. My dad seems so sad since Mom died and I’m spending every minute with him so he won’t be alone.” There is a situation in nearly every family or extended friendship family (although it may not be put into words.)

HIKE For Mental Health aligns with my love for the outdoors and my intense interest in mental health research. Their goal is raising awareness of mental health challenges and funding for research, along with self-care and care for loved ones. I participated in an event a couple of years ago that was really impactful. Kept it in the back of my mind until February 2019 when I decided to create and manage a hike of my own to benefit the organization – more importantly, to raise awareness that there is help.

Where to hike and who’s going with me? I chose McDowell Nature Preserve in Mecklenburg County for its beauty, its trails along the Lake Wylie shoreline, and its easy accessibility from Charlotte. I planned a 3-mile route and hiked it several times between February and May so I would look like I knew what I was doing!

In early May 2019, 13 people took the time on a warm Saturday morning to walk together at McDowell Nature Preserve. My husband, Jim, was the sweep while I took the lead. Everyone had a map that we worked on interpreting at intersections to stay on track.

Our little group stopped at a halfway point where picnic tables sat beside a stream – and disturbed a big black snake that splashed into the water to get away! During our break I shared a letter from HIKE For Mental Health about recent research grants it has funded. We talked about how just about everyone you meet in life has been touched by a mental health issue extending to family, friends, and co-workers’ families and friends. I shared a recent obituary in our local newspaper about a young man who “lost his battle with depression,” noting that the family was very brave to make their son’s struggles public and that it would help someone.

I walked a little bit with each person and heard stories of a son who died by suicide, a deceased father who was undiagnosed but obviously suffered from depression, a brother struggling in addiction. Some carried thoughts of loved ones, some carried concerns for the world today. We all carried home a little hope for tomorrow.

Only two folks in the group (aside from Jim and me) had previously visited McDowell Nature Preserve and were very enthusiastic and visiting again and bringing friends and family – one of my goals for the hike. Pass it on!

All in all, a wonderful morning outside honoring and supporting people who struggle with mental health and those who love them. The HIKE For Mental Health organization was easy to work with and I look forward to hiking for them again in the future.

(Photo credit and thanks to Danny Bernstein who also hiked with us.)

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed and to have my senses put in tune once more.” ~John Burroughs

No comments: