Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Green River Cove Trail On New Year's Day 2022

Green River Cove Trail – 1/1/22 – 7.6 Miles


Starting with a blank slate, turning the page, hitting the refresh button – New Year’s Day is my favorite day of the year. I don’t make resolutions, per se, but rather a “wish list” of what I want the year ahead to look like. If the things happen, great, and if they don’t, hopefully it’s because something even better happened. I am all optimism on New Year’s Day.

Hiking is always on the list.

Jim and our oldest daughter Megan joined me as we looked for a trail that was new to us, not too far away, and has water and/or a view. Green River Cove Trail checks these boxes and a couple more: it’s Hike #72 of Carolina Mountain Club’s 100 Favorite Trails Challenge AND it’s part of Conserving Carolina’s White Squirrel Challenge.

Green River Cove Road is an adventure in itself, descending from I-26 in a spine-chilling series of hairpin switchbacks. Jim-the-cyclist drove it in slow motion awe. 

We were early enough to grab a parking space in the small pull-off opposite the trailhead. The hike is a straightforward out-and-back following Green River upstream.

Ready to go!

We started off gaining a little elevation above the river, looking down on homes lining Green River Cove Road, then dropped down to river level. Lots to see, blowdowns, reflections, fungi, beavers’ work.

Hope Jim looked before he stuck his hand in

Back up high again, a winter view of the river

At the junction with Pulliam Creek Trail, we stayed left on Green River Cove Trail. The blue blazes kept us on track.

Trail’s end

Beyond the blue blaze is the Green River below the Narrows section where kayakers love to take risks. (Some paddlers keep going past this point but we didn’t see any today.) Huge boulders make beautiful cascades.

As I was making my way across the rocks looking for a place to sit, I slipped and fell towards my left side and onto my butt. At first I thought the only thing injured was my pride, but when I stood up I felt a sharp pain in my left side. The cork handle of my left hand trekking pole became lodged in my side, just below my bra line, and I leaned on it hard as I fell. (Actually, I think this is what pushed me back onto my butt or else I might have fallen forward and done more damage.)

After getting up and dusting myself off, I decided I was good to go. It didn’t hurt to breathe, so no ribs broken, but felt sore for the rest of the hike and bruised for sure. I thought, “Tomorrow is going to be painful,” and I was right. (In fact, it was painful for weeks.)

So let’s have lunch!

Our return hike was easy, no more slip-and-falls, and we were ready for food and drink. At Saluda Station I was delighted to find my favorite cider, which helped the pain go away (Cider Boys - the owner said she likes her cider to taste like fruit.) Happy New Year!

“And now we welcome the new year.
 Full of things that have never been.”
 ~Rainer Maria Rilke


No comments: