Thursday, July 8, 2021

AT in GA: Deep Gap Shelter to Blue Ridge Gap

AT in GA: Deep Gap Shelter to Blue Ridge Gap – 7/25/20 – 11 Miles

I woke up as first light beamed into the shelter. The birds had already begun their dawn chorus – an inspiring start to any backpacking day. Birdsong is one of the features of sleeping outside that I especially enjoy. Even with open bedroom windows at home, the birds’ chirping is dulled by the whoosh of cars, school buses with squealing brakes, and the chatter of early morning walkers. In the woods, the call and response of birds is pure, amplified in the stillness.

When I stepped out onto the shelter deck, I saw that four tents had popped up during the night like mushrooms.  Carol said they came into camp about 10:30 p.m., but I didn’t hear a thing.

Cold overnight oatmeal for breakfast was an experiment, but I didn’t care for the blueberry version (ate it anyway). With a shiver, I pulled my damp hiking shorts back on. Yesterday’s hiking shirt was still more than a little damp, so I opted to hike today in my sleeping shirt. As always, I had a pair of dry socks.  Carol and I were packed and on the trail by 7:30 a.m. Today’s hike was shorter but we both had long drives home (4 hours for me and 6 for her).

The very first climb was challenging for legs still weary from yesterday. We eased our way across Powell Mountain and descended to Moreland Gap. Carol let me lead downhill, saying that she wasn’t feeling as “spry” as I appeared to be. Her hip was hurting with each step and she was thinking of stopping at Dicks Creek Gap while I continue on the remaining six miles to Blue Ridge Gap. We talked over the options as we walked. It certainly wasn’t worth her hurting for six miles, but she would have a long wait for me.

In the meantime, nature showed off in many ways along the path.

Starry Campion


Here comes Carol crossing Highway 76 at Dicks Creek Gap

At Dicks Creek Gap the AT crosses Highway 76, a busy road with a large parking area. We worked out a plan for Carol to try to get a ride from there back over to Unicoi Gap to retrieve her car, while I kept hiking to Blue Ridge Gap where my own car was parked, and we'd meet at Dicks Creek Gap. Assuming no cell service, we talked over the contingencies: if Carol couldn’t get a ride, she’d still be sitting there when I arrived with my car. If she did get a ride, she’d be at Dicks Creek waiting for me. If she wasn’t there when I arrived with my car, assume she’d gotten a ride and was en route. We estimated the amount of time it would take for me to reach my car plus a cushion of an hour more.

Lots of scenarios to think through – except for the one that actually occurred.

I unloaded all non-essentials from my backpack and left them with Carol, which made a world of difference in my speed, my energy, and my attitude. 

A short break at Cowart Gap

The climb up Buzzard Knob was another lengthy physical challenge, but not a mental one. I had a light pack and a spring in my step! I called on my mantra of “Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy” and as I began to hum it in time with my slow and steady pace, I looked down on the path and saw a flat rectangular stone with two twigs laying on it in the configuration of a cross. Not looking for an affirmation, but there it was. 

At the top of Buzzard Knob, I crossed paths with a dayhiker headed down to Dicks Creek Gap, and I asked him to tell Carol he had seen me. As he disappeared around the bend, I got a cell signal and saw a text from her that she had gotten a ride to her car and was on her way back to Dicks Creek Gap. Easy-peasy!

Just a few more miles for me, but thunder began rumbling right at high noon. I hustled up and over my last obstacle, As Knob (yes, that is its name – maybe they just got tired of naming things?) and there was Blue Ridge Gap at Charlie’s Creek Road. I turned off of the AT for the last mile to my car, hurrying because of the thunder, keeping a close eye on the time…scratching my head because where is my car?

The road was incredibly rough and rutted with deep, muddy, water-filled ditches as it dropped steadily downhill. A couple of jeeps passed me as I turned curve after curve, disappointed each time when my car did not appear. By my watch, I had walked much longer than I’d expected.

As I crossed a wide stream, I saw two motorcycle riders who had stopped, and I asked them for help. Yes, they had seen my car! But…I had turned the wrong way at the Blue Ridge Gap junction and had been walking in the wrong direction. 

I’ll spare you the details other than I hitched a ride back to the gap, walked to my car in 15 minutes, and drove my weary self to Dicks Creek Gap. I was almost an hour late and Carol was going to give me another 15 minutes before she came looking for me – she had bought me an orange soda – she is a good friend!

Lesson re-learned: Check yourself at every single intersection. I was in a hurry and preoccupied. If Carol had been with me, she would have questioned which way to turn. 

“I'm not lost for I know where I am.
But however, where I am may be lost.”
~Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne







No comments: