Sunday, May 12, 2019

Carolina Thread Trail: Blue Star Trail - Anne Springs Close Greenway


Carolina Thread Trail: Anne Springs Close Greenway – Blue Star Trail/Steele Creek Trail – 7/20/18 – 4 Miles

 
On a steamy, humid but free Friday morning before the weekend got hijacked with other plans, I ventured to Anne Springs Close Greenway nature preserve to check out a segment of the Carolina Thread Trail.  There are pieces of “thread” scattered throughout a 15-county area surrounding Charlotte; the threads will eventually be tied together, though completion will be after I am hiking in heaven.  But…pieces waiting to be connected are often parts of larger parks and greenways, so no need to wait for the big picture to be revealed.  For example, the Blue Star Trail at ASCG is 7.2 miles long, and 1.4 miles of it is designated as a CTT segment.  It’s easy to map out a loop (or multiple loops) to include this portion of the Blue Star. I arrived at the Dairy Barn parking lot ready for a walk in the woods.

Only 8 miles from my home, across that SC state line in the town of Fort Mill, I forget how convenient Anne Springs Close Greenway is and how much there is to see and do.  There’s a $5 day use entrance fee for hiking and mountain biking all trails and exploring 2,100 acres.  [A bummer, though, that you can’t buy a day pass to the Mary Warner Mack Dog Park.  They offer a couple of fee-free days each year; otherwise you need to have a membership.]

Check the main website for the fascinating history of the property AND be sure to check just before you visit for current openings and closings of sections of the property due to construction.   

I paid my $5 and then was told by the nice volunteer that the swinging pedestrian bridge across Steele Creek (the creek bisects the property) was closed for construction.  My hiking loops options were greatly reduced, but never fear!. The trail map features several loops, so I took the Steele Creek Runners’ 5K Loop that combines the Blue Star and North Steele Creek Trails.


I can get around national parks really well, but not-to-scale maps of county parks and local greenway trail systems are often hard to interpret, as symbols and language are not standardized. After locating the bathrooms (not easy) I needed the nice volunteer’s help pointing me to the Blue Star Trail (the gravel road) as it crosses Highway 21. Join me now and enjoy nature up close on this engaging Piedmont hike. Maybe we’ll see a snake today!

First, cross the road

So far so good

Follow the arrows across the freshly mowed field…

…and into the woods

Little brown jug foliage, no blooms

A good thing I didn’t have my heart set on hiking the whole Blue Star Trail today

 
Steele Creek Trail passes back underneath Highway 21 at its bridged crossing of the creek, a bit soggy, a little creepy, less canopy and more dense weeds here. Any snakes yet?  Nope.

Pokeberries

I have a healthy respect for spiders as they conduct the good work of controlling insect populations, but I like to see them before they are within arm’s reach.  This ominous funnel web was about 3 inches in diameter (no, I didn’t measure it).  I couldn’t spot the architect of this masterpiece and I didn’t get close. [BTW, if you try spiderweb identification via Google, one of the first sites that pops up is Orkin Exterminators.]


Beautiful patterns of bark on live trees and dead trees


The trail skirts the creek for a while. The water level was very low but the height of the bank shows how much water can flow after heavy rainfall.  This tree is hanging on by a massive root system.  When it lets go, there will be a big change.

On the edge of another freshly mowed field that almost looks like muddy water

At this intersection, Blue Star Trail turns left and is interrupted by bridge reconstruction. The creek is knee deep but muddy. I wanted to see a snake, but not in water that I am also in. At this point, Blue Star is a wide gravel road lined by fenced green pastures, and Steele Creek Trail stays in the trees as it parallels Blue Star. I opted to stay on Steele Creek Trail to complete my route.

 
As a bonus, I walked the Nation Ford Loop, a handicap accessible surface that passes by two restored cabins. One is known as the Graham Cabin, once the home of the grandfather evangelist Billy Graham.  (The cabin was relocated from about 2 miles away and then restored.) The second is the Faires-Coltharp Cabin, also relocated from about 3 miles away. You can learn more about both structures here. 

Graham Cabin

Faires-Coltharp Cabin

Summary:  lots of perspiration on a sweltering day, about 4 miles walking (almost none on the Blue Star), 2 trail closures, no snakes, a very intimidating spider’s web, all before noon on a Friday.  Well done!

“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” ~ Annie Dillard



No comments: